All you need to know about Packaging Ice in Plastic Ice Bags
What style of ice bag should I choose? Choosing the right style of Ice Bag is one of preference and packing function.
Manual ice bag packagers usually choose between two styles:
- Loose-packed Plain Top Ice Bags, which include twist-ties for closing. Other closing options are available as an option like bag sealing tape, etc.
- Drawstring Ice Bags have a drawstring top for easy hassle-free closing once loaded with ice. The drawstring also allows for a convenient carrying handle for the consumer.
Higher volume ice packagers use semi-automatic and high-speed automatic packaging machines that require Ice Bags on Wicket or Ice Bag Roll Stock Film:
- Wicketed Ice Bags have a lip and perforation on one side of the bag, which allows for groups of 100-250 bags on a wire or plastic wicket. One side of the ice bag is either blown open by air or manually pulled out to allow for easy filling and then torn from the lip and wicket once filled. Once filled these ice bags can be sealed with twist ties, bag sealing tape, or heat-sealed. Wicket bags are used with bulk baggers and volumetric baggers. This is a partial list of machines that use wicketed ice bags: Matthiesen Automatic Wicket baggers, Matthiesen HSB 510, Matthiesen LV Series baggers, Matthiesen VLS Series Baggers, Matthiesen Model Bf-150 Bulk filler, Matthiesen Magic Finger system, JMC Automatic Bulk Ice Bagger Models BB 1600, and BB 1700.
- Film Roll Stock (or Form Fill and Seal Sheeting) is printed polyethylene film that is configured as a single wound or centerfold sheeting from which an automatic machine forms, fills, and seals individual ice bags. We offer competitive pricing on Ice Bag Roll Stock. Get a quote now for custom ice film!
- Baler Bags are larger (usually non-printed bags) on a wicket for loading multiple ice bags in for easier handling and transportation. Get a quote on Baler bags.
What are Metallocene and EVA, and why are they important?
Metallocene is a type of LLDPE or linear low-density polyethylene resin that is used to make ice bags and film stronger than traditional LDPE – Low-Density Polyethylene. EVA is a copolymer resin additive that helps poly film perform better in cold temperatures. All polyethylene films become brittle at freezing temperatures, so EVA is added to soften the film and aid in puncture resistance, ripping and tearing. EVA is safe for food contact.
What size bag do I need? Packaged Ice is sold in various capacities and the bag sizes often vary based on the style and size of the ice cubes being packaged.
- 5 lb. Ice Bags: 5 pound Ice Bag cools approximately 18 cans – 5# ice bags are commonly found at convenience stores, liquor stores, beach shops, etc.
- 8 lb. Ice Bags: 8 lb. Ice Bag cools approximately 22 cans – 8# ice bags are the most common size at convenience stores, liquor stores, bait shops, etc.
- 10 lb. Ice Bags: 10 lb. Ice Bag cools approximately 27 cans – 10# ice bags are also common at grocery stores, warehouse clubs, convenience stores, liquor stores, ice house vending machines, etc.
- 20 lb. Ice Bags: 20 lb. Ice Bag cools approximately 55 cans – 20# ice bags are commonly used for commercial applications, caterers, fishing charters, warehouse clubs, ice house vending machines, etc.
- 50 lb. Ice Bags: 50 lb. Ice Bag cools approximately 138 cans – 50# ice bags are commonly used for industrial and commercial applications, bulk ice sales for stadiums, sports arena, bars or anywhere large quantities of ice are needed.
Are our ice bags FDA/USDA approved? The FDA doesn’t approve anything they just issue requirements. All of our ice bags and film meet the FDA and USDA requirements and are made of 100% virgin resins. A certificate of compliance is available at your request.
Industries that use Ice Bags:
- Convenience Stores
- Catering Companies
- Amusement Parks
- Fish Markets
- Hotels and Motels
- Produce Markets
- Sports Arenas and Stadiums
- Camp Grounds
- Concrete Companies
- Grocery Stores
- Anyone needing to make, bag, or serve ice to their customers
- Anyone using ice as part of their manufacturing process
Looking for ice bags to be used for medical athletic training rooms for a school or university?
Try these stock poly bags that would compare to Medco Sports Medicine University Ice Bags, Muller Ice bags, Cramer Heavy Duty Ice bags, Eline Ice bags, Pull-n-pack Ice bags, School Health Brand and Vortex Brand Ice Bags:
- 8x4x18 1.25 mil
- 9x 18 HD 1 mil
- 10 x18 1 mil
- 12 x 20 1.5 mil
- 12x20 in 2 mil
- 12 x 22
- 15 x 20 1.25 mil, 1.5 mil, 2 mil
- 12 x 24 1.25 mil on roll