Better Packages tape dispensers and systems require minimal preventive maintenance and care. However, a little “TLC” will keep your machine running at optimal levels.
Water Brushes: Glue from the tape may accumulate and reduce the effectiveness of the moistening system. Weekly brush washing is recommended.
Shear Blades: For the dispenser to cut the tape well, blades need to be free of adhesive, dust etc. These materials need to be cleaned from the blades.
The following suggested preventive maintenance schedule applies to all water-activated tape machines listed on interplas.com.
- Wash water brushes with mild soap; rinse well.
- Clean any accumulated tape dust with a dry brush or blower.
- Wash water tank with mild soap; rinse well.
- Clean accumulated glue from blades using a scraper. (Don’t scrape the cutting edge because the blade may become dull and need replacement.) Caution: The blade is sharp and can cut easily, so be careful working around it.
- Apply light coating of light machine oil to back of blade.
- On Better Packages 555 models add a few drops of light machine oil to felt pads.
- Thoroughly clean all accumulated pieces of tape, tape dust and any other foreign material from inside of machine with dry brush or blower.
- Clean bottom of heaters and pressure plates of accumulated glue.
- Oil upper and lower blades lightly with light machine oil.
- Clean all covers with a damp rag.
Never spray cleaning fluid or lubricant into the machine. Never clean or work on an electric or electronic dispenser with the power turned on. Always turn the power off and unplug the machine before servicing.
Trouble Shooting Tips
The following are simple troubleshooting tips to consider if there is a problem with your machine. A more complete discussion of troubleshooting techniques is contained in the operating manual for each machine. If the problem with your machine cannot be resolved with these tips or techniques in your manual, then you should contact your local authorized distributor or our Customer Support Department through Contact us.
Symptom Trouble Shooting Tips
Symptom: Machine does not turn on (if electric).
Check to see that unit is plugged in, and power light is "on."
Symptom: No tape is dispensed.
Check to see that tape is loaded in the basket.
Check to verify the tape path is correct.
Remove upper tape plate and look for small pieces of tape which may cause jamming.
Check that the water brush(es) and water tank are properly inserted so they don't block the tape path.
Symptom: Tape is not wet when it is dispensed.
Check water level in tank.
Check for proper location of water brush(es) and tank.
Check brushes for excess glue build up or excess wear.
Symptom: Tape does not stick well.
Tip(s): Check water level, adjust if necessary. Check heater operation, adjust if necessary.
Add water conditioner if water is "hard."
Check condition of water brushes.